8.15.2009

Chapel Choir and Orchestra

When I was a junior in high-school, I joined the Chapel Choir and Orchestra at the First Baptist Church of Dallas.

At the time it was a great to do something I liked - play my saxophone in a band, hang out with my friends and go on Choir tours to Alaska and to Atlanta.

What I didn't know was how influential an experience that would be in my life. In all the rehearsals, in the playing every week for the Sunday Service, in going on tour and giving concerts, and doing mission work, I would learn a lot about what it means to truly not be ashamed of the gospel.

Because when you are 16, and wearing a choir uniform (blue button down shirt, a uniform khaki pant, and the brightest yellow anorak you've ever seen) and singing about Jesus on top of it, well, that's a big step for a high-schooler.

And I think having done that, and worked in the VBSes that we did on tour, and singing the blessing when we sat down to eat in restaurants, I learned a lot about what it means to be unmistakeably counted among a number.

There are some really pivotal moments that I remember from my tours, that helped form the faith I carry to this day. But I also know now that the act of those rehearsals, the weekly leading of worship in the church service were just as formative if less memorable.

Sometimes it seems like a lot of our faith is made up of rehearsing the truths we know till we can sing them from memory. Just like we did in Chapel Choir.

This weekend I'm spending my time at the 50th reunion of the Chapel Choir Ministry. The choir loft is full, and so is the orchestra, of old faces and young faces, directors I know and ones I don't.
And everyone is having a ton of fun. We sang and played all day today, and then when we got done rehearsing, people kept singing.

And you know what, through all those years, the song remains the same:

At the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow.

For in Him we know, No More Night

We Bless His Mighty Name.

It's a real privilege to join in the song again.

No comments: