7.31.2009

Last night I read that familiar passage in Romans 8.

The one that tells us that all things work together for good. The one that says that nothing not present, nor future can separate us from the love of Christ.

And it got me thinking about why we humans have this capacity for regret, is it linked to remorse? Is it because we have enough perspective of time to realize that our past is there behind us, that but for a few changed words things might have been different? Does God regret? Even as He must have known from the beginning that it would end on the cross, does He ever think back to that moment in garden and wonder ruefully why on Earth, Eve didn't trust Him? And wonder further why Adam fell too?

Well, I don't know, and in those situations it's best to stick to truth instead of chasing things there are not answers too.

The truth is that nothing can separate us from the love of Christ, who submitted Himself even unto death, that we might rise as conquerors of death. With nothing to fear. Therefore, we may lay down and sleep in peace, we may live in light and laughter, for we have not one single thing in heaven, nor on earth to fear.

That is not to say that there is not a place for tears too. Jesus wept. A precious truth, I know I've overlooked before. Jesus wept in grief. Thank God for such sympathy in our conditions.

In Christ we may know that our futures, despite present tears, are bright. For His love is precious, and He has sought us out in our grief and in our darkness.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

If I were to comment here every time I find such great meaning and joy in your words, Sara, I'd just be pestering you every time. But once again, this was just beautiful and meaningful. Thank you for letting us into your great heart and mind.

It made me think, again, of that passage I preached on last week, which I already mentioned on a previous note. The disciples are in the boat, and the storm comes, and "it was dark, and Jesus was still away." How scary it must have been! But then... Jesus comes... *on* the water! And the disciples, we hear, were terrified... "wh, wh, what the heck?"

And Jesus says, "It is I, do not be afraid." But literally in the Greek, "I Am. Fear not." I Am, the same amazing, overwhelming name of God from the Hebrew. I Am, the God who assured us that, even when we don't know how, God is there. And this I Am then says that we don't have to ever be afraid that He's not.

So often, in the hospital this summer with the chaplaincy, I've encountered so many prayers, looking for God. And I've said many, when the words don't come to me, when troubles come, when waves arise. "God, why didn't you make this work?" "God, make the pain go away!" "God, don't let her die." And it seems that God is away.

But then, God says, "I Am. Fear not." I am loving you in ways you could never know. I am guiding you from the darkness -- some of it maybe our making, some just the making of this cruel world -- to a light of love that you could never imagine. And I am with you, on top of the waves and chaos and changes and chances, ensuring you of my changeless love.

Did God regret things? I'm sure, sometimes. That's what he told Noah. And Moses. And the prophets. And even Jesus didn't want to drink his cup at first. Put God has this problem of overwhelming love -- for all the regrets, He just can't help but love us. Forever. What an amazing thing.

And now I've rambled too long and put you to sleep. :) Hope you're doing OK, though, and hope we can talk soon! Miss you!

- Robbie