12.31.2009

Auld Lang Syne

The end of a year. The end of a decade. Every media outlet, personal blog, facebook status update seems intent on trying to sum it all up.

I think it's part of the urge we have to make sense of things, to categorize and tie up in neat bows the various parts of our lives.

Wrapping up the year in reflection has occured on this blog at the close of 2003, in 2004, 2005, and 2007/2008 .

It's somewhat reassuring to me that not even Texas Monthly knew how to sum up 2009 in its last issue. Because it was a year of great loss for many, many, many people.

Economically
Personally
Professionally

I don't know anyone who was left unscathed by 2009.

As far as blogging, this year was my second most prolific year with 52 posts. And most of them dealt with faith. It was, I think, the most I have ever written about my faith on this blog. I guess when it all hit the fan, what was left was Jesus and so I wrote about that. It surprised me that there was that much to write, but I'm sure there were a couple of people who it didn't surprise at all.

The thing about 2009 for me is that I don't think it can be summed up, or put into an understandable package, and I won't get a bigger hammer and pound it into a box.

I'm undecided about whether I'm going to bang pie pans tonight. My flight gets into Dallas late. I think I may just have a mug of eggnog, and go to bed. Wake up, and have a cup of coffee with 2010 tomorrow morning.

2010.

I don't think it's entirely possible to get off the internet, and there are too many people I would lose touch with if I did. But I am going to try and step off it for a time.

I'll be writing letters, and making phonecalls. Not checking Facebook, nor updating it. Only checking my email a couple of times a week. For all it's rapidity and convenience, I don't think the internet deepens our communications...so I'm trying to return some intentionality to mine.

I don't expect the rest of the world to step off with me, so keep sending emails if you like.

Which brings us to the blog. I don't know what this new relationship to the internet is going to mean for Bears and Penguins. It's a plucky little blog, and I'm fond of it. So I guess I'll play that one by ear.

For old time's sake then, know that I'll raise a glass to all of you tonight. Toast to your health, your prosperity. Pray for your joy, your understanding, your search for Truth, and your protection in 2010.

Go live well.
Go live deeply.
Be where your feet are and fear not.

And for old time's sake, I hope you'll forget me not, and raise your glass the same.

So long for awhile. Check your tires, and turn up your coat collars against the rain. But when the sun comes out, old friend, shed your coat and soak it up.

Salud.

No comments: