12.01.2009

Advent Day 3 - Extraordinary kindness:

As I was sitting with my Mother the other evening, a memory crossed my mind.

"Do you remember when the chimney sweep came to our house in Houston to clean the chimney, and he gave me a piece of red felt that he said had been caught in the chimney, and that it must have been from Santa Claus?"

"Yes," she said. "That was kind wasn't it? You were so excited to show Daddy and Jimmy."

Now that really was something. He didn't get paid extra for that, he just knew it was an easy way to brighten a child's day, and it really did. And there was intentionality in it, I mean, I presume he took the time to cut a piece of red felt, and carry it with him. Unless he really did find it in the chimney...

I can hear you lovable cynics out there already: Well, of course if you're nice to a customer's kids, they're more likely to call you again. It's good for business.

Nonetheless, good for business or not, I think it was, at its heart, simply kind.

I notice in myself and in others, that we all are quick to suspect people of having some type of angle or alterior motive. They want publicity, they want additional business, they want something from us. I think that's part of our modern world - somehow we start to think of actions as what they gain for us, rather than what they might accomplish for others.

Maybe I'm way off base in that assessment, but I don't neccesarily think so - I've talked with a lot of high-school and college students who engage in particular volunteer work because it looks good on applications and resumes. And I've talked with many college seniors who apply to programs like Teach for America solely because it looks good on their resume.

That there is an expectation of that alterior motive is a sad thing, a cynical thing, it makes all of us smaller people.

But I still believe in pure, unadulterated acts of kindness. I think the Chimney Sweep engaged in one. It took him little time or energy, and probably gained him no profit, but I've remembered it all my life.

Whenever I think of kindness, I always think of a man named Charlie who was a greeter at my childhood church for years and years. I didn't know him outside of church, but I remember that every Sunday, he took time to say good morning to my family, and to me. He always asked about School or Sunday School, complimented my dress (these were the old days, there was a dress and tights with shiny patent dress shoes every week), and he always had a peppermint or a butterscotch candy in his pocket for me - always. That was kindness.

It is so true that everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle, and it is so true that small kindnesses can make a world of difference to a person's day.

That's part of what this Christmas season is about, I think. Kindness in the midst of deep trouble and despair. That in the midst of the world of trouble and woe, the Dear Christ enters in, to redeem, to make new, to heal, to bring kindness to those who need it, to bring hope to those who feel forgotten.

4 comments:

Corey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Corey said...

I have a couple of quick thoughts on your assessment.
"I think that's part of our modern world - somehow we start to think of actions as what they gain for us, rather than what they might accomplish for others."

I think that this perception is not new to our modern world and has been around for while.

The two intents of actions as you polarize them are (1) what they gain for us and (2) what they accomplish for others.
I do not think these have to be polarized against one another. They can coexist and do not have to be thought of as opposing one another.

Your chimney sweeper might have wanted to be kind to you and generate more business. And actually that is a good thing. When implemented properly this kind of attitude drives great customer service and genuine acts of kindness.

As a last thought, I guess I would argue that most (all?) acts of kindness have some "what do i get out of this" element to them. Even if it is just the feeling associated with doing a kind thing. There is a positive feed back for the giver of kindness that causes him/her to be rewarded internally and thus "getting something" out of the act of kindness.

Sara said...

Corey,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - I appreciate them, and got a kick out them.

Even as I wrote yesterday, I knew that the weakest point was the one which you bring up - namely that it's an age old question of the two ideas of self-gain, and other-gain often co-existing in ways which are sometimes very complicated to separate.

I almost included an example that I saw when I was in college. I was helping with some local relief efforts for victims of Hurricane Katrina who had landed in Columbia. We needed volunteers to handle childcare, while parents ran errands or attended job interviews.

At the same time there was a fraternity on campus who was in danger of losing their charter and needed some good community service publicity. We got the volunteers, they got good press and the parents were able to accomplish what they needed to do. The "kindness" of the frat kids volunteering accomplished their goal and our goal.

T.S. Eliot examines this very theme in his eloquent play, "Murder in the Cathedral," which dramatizes the murder of Thomas Becket in Canterbury. Eliot's Becket is faced with the question how right is an act if the motive be impure. His character calls it "...greatest treason/ to do the right deed, for the wrong reason."

I don't share Eliot's position, but I find his exploration thought-provoking.

C.S. Lewis also addresses this in part in "The Four Loves," when he discusses "need-love" and "gift- love." My memory will not suffice to summarize his thoughts here, but might be good for further reading if anyone is interested.

I largely agree with your arguements that many kind acts have an element of a positive feedback loop for the doer, and that this is not generally a bad thing, as it can perpetuate more kind acts.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Cheers,

Sara

Robbie said...

A thoughtful post as always, Sara. It reminds me, really, of one of the first hints I had that journalism maybe wasn't for me -- when I kept hearing folks so approvingly say that "if your mother says she loves you, look it up." I don't deny that that's a good rule for reporting, but for my vocation, but it seemed so easy for it to become a rule of life, and I didn't want to fall into that trap.