5.10.2007

While Blythe was here in Baltimore she told me that she had read something about, and I paraphrase, putting your credo into 6 words. 6 words to describe the way you wish to live, how you define it. 6 words is not a lot.
This was (is) mine:
"Hand to the plow, forward ho."
I don't think I could have come up with anything better than that.

There are four weeks left in the school year; between field trips and school assemblies it promises to be a busy time. Texas is so close that I can taste it. Some of my friends are traveling the world this summer, but I'm more than content to turn my feet toward Texas.

I grow weary in the work, and it's hard not to give up sometimes. But hand to the plow, you know.

I read through the book of Jonah yesterday. Of course all Bible characters are human, but some seem much more human than others, and I always seem to identify with the worst of them - Thomas "I'll believe it when I see it."
Peter "I talk a good game, but lose it when it counts."
Moses "I'm a stubborn fool."
and Jonah "I'll go my own way, thank you very much."

Anyway, I don't like Jonah much, but I know him. After he goes to Nineveh, he gets angry because (long story short) the Lord shows compassion on the people. God asks Jonah what right he has to be angry, and of course, the answer is none.

This hit me hard this week, because it's ever so easy to throw myself a pity party here. And the question that comes to me when I want to call a friend and whine and ask sympathy, the answer that comes (as I know it should) is "So what?"

I'm fed, clothed and sheltered. I've friends and family who pray for me. I've hobbies and enjoyments and experiences to fall back on. Whereas the kids I teach have not. So what does it matter when I have a tough day, a lot of the students I teach have tough lives.

What right have I to a pity party? None.

So humbled, I reach my hand once more the plow, placing the traces about my shoulder. Forward ho.

4 comments:

CSP said...

You know that I hate to disagree with you, largely because I so rarely have any reason to, but I'm afraid I have to call you out on this one. You see, I have something of a personal stake. I happen to believe that we're always entitled to our anger. All of us. The world was not designed to please everyone, and anger (and its twin, disappointment) is simply a fact of life, regardless of how justified it may or may not be.

But I don't think that means we're entitled to act on our anger. Some things are personal, not meant to be shared with others. Anger is acceptable, so long as we do not use it to poison others. In short, we are entitled to our own anger, but not to others'.

Even God (and Jesus, too, if you happen to make the distinction) is given to anger at times. The question is, will does your anger control your, or do you control it? As someone who has let his anger control him more times than he cares to remember, I can tell you firsthand, it is always a mistake. Anger has its place, but to triumph over it is a good and righteous thing.

I say this all matter-of-factly, of course. Anyone who really thinks that you would let your anger win out has not been paying attention, not for long.

Oh, and to respond to Ms. Terrell's challenge:

1. Life
2. is
3. short.
4. Go.
5. Love.
6. Explore.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything to beat that.

Anonymous said...

Small wonder that people pray for you!

Anonymous said...

Sara, can I just say that I love your posts?! :)

Moses, Jonah, Peter, Thomas -- yes, they all had their faults, but they were also loved, and they're also remembered as being some of the chosen people of God. And we have our faults -- I think I often have the same one you write about here, somehow quite inclined to self-pity despite no right to be -- but we're also loved and chosen, as well. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about Luther's phrase "simil iustus et peccator," more or less "at the same time saint and sinner." It seems really true. In fact, heck, I'll even nominate it for the six-word thing -- and it's just four! Whee!

And we should talk sometime! I'd love to catch up!

blythe said...

Sara... I miss you. We need to have many long talks this summer. You are ALWAYS welcome down I-35. Please visit all the time.

Here's my most recent:
Wheels on highway, eyes on horizon.

In fact, if you don't get down here within two weeks of your arrival in the Lone Star State, I'm coming for YOU.