9.03.2004

Today I am going to London.

But it was a summer - everything that a summer should be. Everything that I needed.

I saw elephants in a cornfield. And I caught fireflies. There is a difference between existing and living of which elephants and fireflies are only a small part.

There were fried green tomatoes, Texas thunderstorms, and the cool sanctuary of a familiar church. There was a family that is amazing and strong and beautiful. Home.

And there was life. There was life waiting to be had. It doesn’t always wait – but this time it did, fortunately.

That was my summer. Full of quiet and whispered realizations about what’s important and what falls away. If I had talked any louder the quiet would have fled in an incalculable loss.

Today I am going to London. But I’ll be thinking about elephants and fireflies. And home.

So I’m off then. But, I’ll be back soon enough – “Lord willin’ and the creek don’t rise.” I’ll be back soon enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

pip pip!
welcome to london, say hello to eastern star for me.
looooooove jen

Anonymous said...

I hope you check your messages, for I always mean them.

I hope you have a wonderous time. My Sara, my little pocket texan, my wayward traveller, the finest woman in all of Christiandom. Tonight I re-realized just how much of a truly amazing, wonderful, special person you are and what you mean to me, but that's a story that shall be told somewhere else soon. And, truly, you really are the finest woman in all of Christiandom.

I honor, love, and value you as if though you are a piece of me.

best of travels, my dear. best of travels. may the proverbial road treat you as well as it has me.

-The Anonymous One

Sara said...

Anonymous one - which is actually your name,

I did check my messages - in fact I'm transcribed your last one and am going to hang it on my wall to remind of the good things I'm going to come home too. Which you are - one of the best.

Good then.

Love, forever and always,
Pocket Texan