9.12.2007

Rather Endearing:

I turned on the local news this morning to see the results of the mayoral primary here in Charm City. While I was waiting for that story, the weather came on, and something I've never seen before happened:
As the weather woman was describing yesterday and today's cooler temperature, the word "PLEASANT" showed up on the weather map right over Maryland in large red letters. On the competing channel, the words "PLEASANT" and "QUITE COOL" showed up over the state.
Maybe in winter, they'll put up "Really effing cold." That would make me laugh.

Democracy Disappointment:
I was definitely disappointed by the results of the mayoral primary - my guy got knocked completely out of the race. I'm not sure quite how Baltimore's electoral system works, but the winner of the primary is definitely going to be the mayor. I guess it says a lot about the Union vote.

Third Week of School:
Teaching is an exhausting job. It just is, no matter how wonderful the students. But so far the students are doing well in spelling, though less well in reading comprehension.

One more election thought:
It's no secret that I'm not having a huge love affair with Baltimore, but...There is a certain way that Baltimore people sound that is unlike any place else I've been, and you could definitely hear it in the acceptance speeches of the mayor and the city council president. And somehow it's endearing to me - it just sounds like Baltimore.

Best get on with my day then. But there are things to look forward too, and that is not a bad thing.

No comments: