3.06.2005

What you probably didn’t know...

1) When trying to decide on my name my Mother really loved the name Ellen, but my Dad said that Ellen Alsup had too many l’s. They also really liked the name Jennifer and were pretty set on it until the doctor told them that everyone in Houston was naming their daughters Jennifer. So they went with Sara and liked how Elizabeth sounded with it.

2) I actually do answer to the name Elizabeth because that’s what my Dad has always called me.

3) I have a little scar under my chin from when I slipped on the blacktop while playing ring-around-the-rosy. I had to have stitches. When we got to the doctor’s office the nurse/receptionist person said that I sure must have hurt the pavement when I fell. I still think this is a rather stupid statement and not really what any child wants to hear.

4) I’ve wanted to be a writer since Mrs. Brumet’s second-grade class. I decided that if reading were so much fun then writing would have to be even better. My poem, “Tea with the Dragons,” was published in the second-grade anthology. I illustrated it myself. Copies available upon request.

5) About the time I was in middle-school, I decided that writing was too personal a medium and so I focused on music.

6) The first chapter book I read was, “The Boxcar Children.” I can remember laying on our tan and brown couch in our house in Houston and being almost too excited to open the book. I felt incredibly accomplished when I was done.

7) In second-grade, Gaston called me monkey-face. I am still a little ticked off about this. And I hate the name Gaston.

8) In about fourth grade I got really mad at my parents for something (probably for asking me to do my chores) and told them, “Fine. I’ll be my own woman when I’m 18 and then I can do what I want.” (This was because I had learned that the government considers you an adult with rights at 18) The morning of my 18th birthday, when my Mom heard me coming down the stairs, she put the song “I am Woman hear me Roar, in numbers to big to be ignored,” on the stereo and then cooked me breakfast. It’s one of my best mornings.

9) For most of my childhood I was extremely allergic to cats. If I got anywhere near a cat my nose would start to run, I would start to itch and my eyes would swell up. I still get nervous around cats.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She was also an incurable insomniac. She had little fear of the dark or roaming around the big dark house at night - when she was 2 or three years old.

I remember one night, when she was three that my late grandma Alsup and I hid quietly in a spare bedroom down the hall from her room. After tucking her in, we were hiding in the room and it took all of about 3 minutes before we saw her little head peek out...seeing if the coast was clear. She started to creep out of her room and we waited until she got about halfway across the landing and then Grandma flipped on the light, and in a mean voice (and she could conjure up a REALLY mean voice) said "Sara - get your ass back in that bed!!!" The look on Sara's face was one of the greatest things i have ever seen - a mix of startled, fear, and anger at getting caught.

She woudl routinely come into my room (I am 13 years older) at 11:30 to watch David Lettermen. This was before she was in Kindergarten. Sometimes, she would come into my room after I was asleep, turn on my TV and eat crackers in my bed while she watched TV - she was not a neat eater either.

Dad decided he had enough, and finally broke down and ot her a TV (19 inch color Sony with remote and cable) just so she would stay in her room. To trick her though, he bought a "Rabbit" - a device that would turn the TV off at a set time. Sara was quite happy with the whole deal until the TV turned off. In response, she went down and finished watching the show on the big TV in the family room - and made herself a snack - at 1:00am - a three year old.

So...I still think she is like this. I thought she was a real handful but my daughter Maggie makes Sara look like Laura Ingalls.

Anonymous said...

"she was not a neat eater either."

she still isn't.