8.23.2004

Flashback and explanation
I was a substitute teacher yesterday at my high-school - two 10th grade Bible classes and one freshman study hall.

It's somewhat strange for me to go back to First Baptist Academy. As it is always strange to return to one's past and roots. But important to look back and remember. I can't say enough good things about the teachers, both academically and personally, that I had at the Academy. And if you really want to understand where I come from - FBA would be a prime place to start.

Sometimes there's a pretty interesting dynamic in private religious schools. It's hard to explain...and it's very easy to laugh at. I guess one fair way to look at it is that it's essentially like every high school -with it's share of cliques and dramas and teenage angst, but then it's got this whole spiritual element to it that, to some extent, heightens all situations.

I don't often write on this blog about my personal faith. In fact this is probably the most I've ever written about anything related to Christianity. I also rarely volunteer to share either my personal testimony or a testimony of "how the Lord is working in my life" - in fact I can recall only one time that I have spoken up volunteerily in a group setting about how a particular event affected me. And I still consider it a story worth sharing and occasionally I tell it and the whole thing happened in remote Alaska - no kidding.

Most of that attitude stems from my experiences and observations from my high-school and my youth group involvement. For many kids in that type of setting, it is almost a contest to see who can share the most dramatic testimony or show that the Lord is clearly doing more work in their lives than anyone else's. Who can lead a prayer, who can lead a song. The hottest guys at summer camp are the ones that have felt called to the ministry. Testimonies that rely upon the emotional roller coaster that you can lead the audience through.

I have always eschewed arguments which rely upon emotion, simply because emotion comes and goes and is not so sturdy a thing as to build a life upon. And as for me, well, I've always been of the mind that my actions ought tell my faith and heart more accurately and eloquently than words. At times, my actions have miserably failed to speak of my faith - and this too is a testimony of my state.

And quite frankly, it also comes from the fact that I don't fancy public speaking and I tend to be a very guarded person. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve, particularly when it comes to my personal life. And that's at least one of the reasons why I don't write about my faith a whole lot on this blog.

I've written myself out. It's just an explanation, I guess. Doctrinally, my beliefs haven't changed that much over the years. But I've grown up a bit and seen more of life, and so my faith has grown up a bit as well. Funny how that works.

Sometimes I fear that I say too little of my faith, that I am too guarded with it, and too private about it. But it is deeply important to me, and I would say, the best thing in my life.

5 comments:

CSP said...

I don't think anyone who knows you could legitimately question your faith, Sara. You don't have to defend or explain yourself; the characteristics you just described are the very things that make it admirable. It's your faith. It belongs to you alone, and you have to approach it how you see fit, same as everyone else.

Sara said...

Caleb - your words are really heartening. You might be interested to know that while I was writing the entry I kept thinking that I knew you would get it. About all the conversations we've had about church backgrounds and youth group extravaganzas.

Thanks for being you.

S

Anonymous said...

I am going to tell mom and dad you are an aethiest now.

Seriously...nice post. Not as nice as the ones about me, but still nice.

CSP said...

Seriously-- I love this guy.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....a post about the ins and outs of First Baptist Academy. Can a single blog entry really do justice? Can an entire blog? I put forth an answer - Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha...No! But I have to say, Sara, I am very impressed with how you characterized it! Now, I think I speak for all your other faithful readers when I humbly request that you share some more of your adventures from high school. Just the interesting ones, now. None of this, "I was drum major," or some such foolishness. Where is the GOOD stuff? Can you say, "JUNE BUGS!!!"