10.26.2003

You ever get to feeling restless?
I've been feeling that way for a couple days now -- not restless like, "Gee, wish I was going somewhere tonight", more like "It's time to be moving on".
Certainly, living in a dorm contributes to this. A tiny room, in a tiny building, with a community bathroom, and a plaque on your door that proclaims you "responsible, University chosen, quasi-adult". You'd be amazed at what that plaque on the door does -- people knock at any hour day or night, will sit down and make themselves comfortable when you're clearly doing something else, i.e. studying, or getting ready for bed, etc.
It's my third year in a tiny room, with institutional furniture, and community bathrooms -- and it's starting to feel a little closed in.

The Pick-Me-Up
I was feeling restless this evening until my parents called. There are many things that my family does well, but I think that laughing is our expertise. It always has been -- my memories are filled with images of my family gathered around the kitchen laughing hysterically. Just talking with my parents cheered me up, and I'm in a considerably better frame of mind.
They've had a quiet weekend in Dallas. Apparently Mom has been trying out new recipes, and this week they've sampled fish and chicken amandine to great success. When I lived at home the only recipes Mom tried out were casseroles -- what's the deal?
Anyway, I'm thankful for the conversation tonight, and the laughter.

Definitions
Omnium-gatherum: a miscellaneous collection, persons or things
Farrago: confused mixture; hodgepodge

My Dad brought these words to my attention, and I hope to use them this week in conversation.

Last but not least
The Missouri Tigers triumphed over the Red Raiders today, 62-31. It was a great game of football, and it's nice to actually have a decent football team to watch.
So this goes out to Clint, deep in Lubbock (aka "the armpit of Texas") -- Nana-nana-boo-boo, we won, nana-nana-boo-boo! (Please imagine annoying sing-song voice)


No comments: