8.15.2008

Not going lie, I was not prepared for this speech, rather I wasn't prepared to be a little humbled by this speech.
There I was yesterday, knowing it was by Cesar Chavez, and thinking "Not another organizing speech."
And so knowing I needed to listen yesterday, I got through my day, and then as though careening through the closing auditorium door, sat down to read the speech, ready to hurry through and onto the next thing.
Then I started to read. Sometimes you get to church just barely on time and thinking about 100 other things, and all the sudden it's like someone pours water over you and you have to be still, and you realize that you're hearing big Truths and that you've got to put your business aside.
So it was when I read this speech.
Especially when he started to speak of the church as a powerful institution - I don't think he meant powerful in our earthly terms of wealth and influence, I think he meant powerful in that it is the province of a king not of this earth.
He spoke of the protestants, and the corners of my heart turned up a little - I knew ones such as these he was talking about.
I love that he indicates that beyond the every-day-close-to-the-dirt needs of people, there's a spirtual need to be fed as well.
Daily bread, and daily word, both are neccessary.
And how gentle he is in admonishing the church to help the poor - he could be much harsher. Indeed, I have been much harsher. But he simply and eloquently says "We ask for Christ among us," which is precisely what the church should be.
I'm heartened that there is an increasing number of churches that I hear about who are embracing this exhortation, and are actively working in social justice areas. I attend a church whose love for the city, and committment to serving her are part of what drew me to make a home there.
Furthermore, I think that for me and others who grew up in an "evangelical" environ were exposed to the concept that the only "real" ministry was explicitly sharing the gospel complete with invitation, salvation and ushering into heaven.
Now there's nothing wrong with sharing that message, in fact it should be shared. But to confine the work of the gospel to that act alone, would create an awfully narrow field in which to work.
It's my belief from my time in Baltimore, from my work here, from reading about the work of Mother Theresa, from observing ministries like Church on the Lot in Dallas, and the Hinde Street Mission in London, that the gospel is much broader than words. That it begins with bread, and shelter, and continues in love to the rest of it.
It is absolutely about serving as "Christ with us," even unto the ones that society forgets about each day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was dreading this speech and planned to glance over it last night simply because it was next on the list and I had to. I was absolutely stunned as you were. What a wonderful message. I was completely surprised. Maybe this is why eight states have made his birthday a holiday? This is one of my favorites so far.

Anonymous said...

There is a controversy currently going on in Dallas and that was the first time I had thought of Cesar Chavez in probably 20 years. I do remember the grape boycott but I didn’t pay much attention to the farm worker movement at the time. The problem in Dallas started when City Hall wanted to rename Industrial Boulevard in connection with the Trinity River Project. In a stroke of genius they invited residents to put their choices online. They envisioned a name like River View Drive or Waterfront Lane etc. Well turns out the most requested name was Cesar Chavez Boulevard. This didn’t suit the powers that be in City Hall at all and they said not this road. Then the Hispanic groups got activated and irritated and now there is a clamor to name the street for Chavez and it had never been an issue before .they instigated this contest. I guess it is the law of unintended consequences. As it currently stands, Industrial is going to be Riverfront Boulevard and the city told the activists that they would rename Ross Avenue for Chavez. At this announcement, the old Dallasites protested saying Ross was already named for people and it was a historic Dallas name. Most people say Chavez never even came to Dallas so why name a street after him. (Of course, we have a street named for Malcolm X and the same can be said for him.) The Hispanic groups now say they just need to be respected and a smaller street just won’t do. I’ll let you know how it comes out
I guess greatness (relative to these speeches) is probably measured along a sliding scale. Since we don’t know the criteria used, I don’t know if this fits great or not. I was not looking forward to reading it but I’m really glad I didn’t blow it off.
Did we hear echoes of Black Liberation Theology in this selection? I think so when you talk about …the rich knowing that there is spiritual and economic power in the church and so they keep it away from the people. The people need spiritual advisers who understand their needs. .. Do we go to church to worship God or do we go to have our social and economic needs met? A topic you and I have talked to death before; yes, the fellowship is great when you go to Christian jazzercise or WWJD book club but does that further the Kingdom of God here on earth?
Then there is the evangelical outreach mentioned in the speech. Apparently, the union leaders were surprised that Protestants would be concerned with their plight more than their own churches. Are we talking grace or works? My mission committee experience hopes that there was discipleship training provided along with the economic assistance.
I think he was a man in the mold of Gandhi and MLK who really had a servant’s heart. I don’t know about renaming that street. It is a huge hassle to rename an existing street and I think I’d rather they spent the tax money on something else. Of course, I don’t vote in Dallas so it’s not my decision, but I wouldn’t oppose it. Good man and good speech!