7.27.2008

Dear Mama and Daddy,

It’s high summer and I’ve been reminded by a good man that it’s been ages since I blogged.

I bought a bicycle. And have been biking to work. She’s a blue beauty with more than one speed. And this shows up one of the fundamental differences between the old roommate, who also has been biking to work, and me.

Everyday the roommate bikes the 2 miles to her work thinking “I’m saving the earth, I’m green and urban chic.” Everyday I bike the 3 miles to work thinking “Ha,ha gas at over $4 a gallon, stuff it.” And the ka-ching of my poor bank account roughly finds the rhythm of my pedals changing gears.

Of course the blue beauty needed a name and on a bike ride this week, I came upon the perfect one somewhere between Massachusetts and Pennsylvania Avenues. What’s a girl from Texas who cut her teeth on Carole King, Joan Baez and Janis Joplin supposed to name her bike?

What else, but Bobby McGee. Me and Bobby McGee.

I figured you’d approve.

Lots of Love,
Elizabeth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the cost of gas comes down, hopefully, who will still ride their bike? You are also probably fulfilling your need for real vitamin D if you are riding in the daylight.
I like that you named your bike Bobby Mcgee. I was thinking of you pedalling through the metropolis and I had to turn the radio up loud and sing along with the car windows down. Of course everytime I think of you riding Bobby McGee, that song starts playing in my head. No problem, I've definitely had worse songs stuck on play.

Ann said...

I don't know why, but when I read your post today I started to cry.

I think I miss you.

Can't wait to bike together.