7.28.2008

Best Laid Plans:
My mother sent me this link to the "100 Great Speeches" - there are some absences, notably Bryan's "Cross of Gold," as well as one of Teddy Roosevelt's whose title escapes me.

At a time when much is being said of inspiration in speeches, and in a time where it would seem great futures are being decided, I have chosen to add to my morning routine a speech a day from 100 to 1.

Today began the forward march with Eleanor Roosevelt's address to the 1948 assembly of the United Nations calling for the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

She is in this speech the voice of her country, as well as a clarion call to other member states. She firmly, but without rancor, denounces the Soviet Union's ammendments which would "change the fundamental character of the document."

I found of note her quotation of Canadian Gladstone Murray saying:
The central fact is that man is fundamentally a moral being, that the light we have is imperfect does not matter so long as we are always trying to improve it … we are equal in sharing the moral freedom that distinguishes us as men. Man’s status makes each individual an end in himself. No man is by nature simply the servant of the state or of another man … the ideal and fact of freedom -- and not technology -- are the true distinguishing marks of our civilization.

Also noteworthy was her willingness to give the last word to someone else, saying that she knew no better call to action than the words of Secretary Marshall, and therein reiterated his words calling for the adoption of the document. No commentary of her own followed, which marks the speech as selfless and the speaker as not seeking her own aggrandizement.

That the document has hardly become a standard for nations, or a modern magna carta, as she hopes in the speech, diminishes neither the quality nor the reason of her remarks. We must judge the speech in the context of it's time and place, and so we judge that she spoke well of herself, her country and the body of the United Nations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sent Mom the link. There are some omissions. Keep in mind, it is "Greatest Speeches of the 20th Century". Nothing from Churchill though - he should have a few. In fact, I think this may be "Greatest American Speeches", because I am sure Gandhi had something worth listening to as well. This is obviously not a comprehensive list. Also, note that most of the speeches actually say something in addition to using beautiful words - this is where Obama misses the mark - I can remember nothing he has said five minutes after he speaks. It is almost like he lulls the audience because people have forgotten what a really good delivery sounds like. It will be better when he actually gives a speech that is both delivered well and has content that people will remember and be able to recite like MLK, JFK, FDR or Lincoln.

Anonymous said...

First, it is really an exciting morning – two blogs in two days. WOW ! (These are not initials for texting, these letters constitute an actual word we use to show enthusiasm.)

I of course am not surprised that you and your brother would both be taken with the idea of these speeches. I think you have a fabulous idea for reading them from 100 to 1 on a daily basis. I have always been envious of your discipline. Your Dad and I kind of hopped through the list out of order the other day, but I will go with you on your journey of one a day to the top and we will end with “I Have a Dream” on the day after the election. Of course, I will expect some comments along the way.

I noted today that Eleanor could advocate cooperation as a tactic that was acceptable as a step on the way to where you are going. She also seemed to know that big changes don’t happen all at once but making the effort to start changing is important. We used to know that even if you don’t get your way all the time; you don’t pick up the marbles and walk away.

I am looking forward to Joseph N. Welch speech tomorrow.

blythe said...

Of course, it is "American Rhetoric." That would explain the lack of Churchill, etc.

I'm excited about this, Sara, and I think I might follow you on your quest.

We should catch up soon, my friend.

BAT