8.08.2004

The Flaming Lips said, “happiness makes you cry,” and I say that life is a series of adaptations.

Tonight is a night in which I will turn out my light and stare sleeplessly at my ceiling and rather than find satisfaction in the silence feel only the vapid sucking of time past my window.

I’m working up to a good cry – I can sense it like animals sense the atmospheric changes preceding a tornado.

Not a sad cry, or a mad cry – just a long-over-due-completely-irrational-making-sure-my-tear-ducts-are-working cry.

Ch-Ch-Changes…are coming my way in the form of a couple of plane tickets and a key to a flat. And all London really means to me tonight is a place on the far side of familiar.

Worry has been my struggle lately. Worry in the form of a rather nasal voice that belongs to the skinny, middle-aged librarian that works in the archives in the back of my mind and wears orthopedic shoes everyday.

She points her finger and says, “Everything bad that can happen, will happen, to the people you love while you are away across the ocean.”

“Shut up you old bag, your shoes are ugly, your face is pinched and you smell of moth balls and dust and stale cellar air,” I say.

Then she gets huffy and bustles off to reorganize a file cabinet. She’ll be back, I owe her a paycheck. Still. By that time, I may be on my way.

People say time flies, and I agree that happiness makes your face awfully wet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may shamelessly steal your anthropomorphic personification of Worry. most especially the whole "she'll be back, I owe her a paycheck" bit. And do not let her hold sway over you. For things shall be held down perfectly fine back in CoMo whilst you are gone. Plus, again, kickass welcome back party.

and. I love you too. xInfinity + 1

-The Anonymous One

CSP said...

If anybody can relate to the concept of constant worry for one's friends (albeit not necessarily anthropomorphized), it's me. Worry not. The only person going anywhere is you, and you'll be back before you know it. In the meantime, we'll miss you, we'll be waiting for you, and at least one of us will be worrying just as much as you ever will.

There's a quote that seems appropriate; if "The Anonymous One" is who I think he is, I'm sure he'll appreciate it as well (and if not, just ignore me): Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

"Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

Sara said...

Thank you both (Oh yes, Caleb and John Doe).

I am constantly thankful that I have such amazing, generous people in my life.

Love for ever and always,
SEA

Anonymous said...

And here I was going to make a joke about you crying. But who can follow that?

Fuck you both.

Adam

PS: I'll be thinking of you, Sara. Have an awesome time and we'll all see you in January.