11.05.2008

DC is going off - horns and firecrackers - like I haven't heard since we lived in Buenos Aires and the soccer team won the world cup.

There's too much to say in this moment...

But one thing I love most is this:

I took my Baltimore kids to the aquarium once, and caught the eyes of some of the other patrons as they took in my "city" kids, and looked disdainfully at them.

I've heard the kids I taught talk about being president someday...

What I love about this moment, is that never, ever again is anyone going to be able to look at them and say they can't because of their upbringing, background, or the color of their skin. They won't be able to say it because tonight we said "Yes we can, and Yes, they can."

Here's to them tonight. And to all of us in the days ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Election day always leaves me with the same kind of feeling as New Years Day. It is full of hope for the future and a lot of promise. Regardless of who wins, prayers are probably a good way to end that day.
I really like your joy in the event.